Egg whites substitutes for cocktails : 3 amazing vegan and egg free alternatives for perfect foams.
I have a good news for you:
In this great era or technological, scientific and chemical advancement, humans have managed to figure out a few different ways of sneaking a sumptuous froth on top of any drink. What a time to be alive!
So, without further ado, here’s the list of wonders:
Aquafaba ( from Latin aqua=water and faba=bean) is literally the water that beans and pulses have been cooked in. For cocktail purposes, the best aquafaba is the one derived from chickpeas, so chickpea water.
There are two main ways of obtaining it:
Quick and easy –
Many studies have shown how BPA can infuse into food and liquids and how negatively it can affect our health (from brain functions, to behaviors, to prostate problems and more…).
This said, I’m sure that a sporadic use of canned chickpeas won’t kill anyone.
Slow and slightly time consuming but healthier –
Because of the reasons stated above, this is clearly the healthier option of the two. Obviously it also has to be the most time consuming.
It simply involves cooking your own dried chickpeas.So:
- Soak the dry chickpeas in water overnight.
- Drain them from the water.
- Place 1part soaked chickpeas to 3parts of water (example: 1cup chickpeas and 3 cups of water) in a pot and cook until the chickpeas are soft.
- Don’t add any salt or seasoning.
- The leftover water will be your cocktail aquafaba.
- (sometimes the water won’t turn up thick enough, in which case you will have to reduce it a little in a separate pan)
You can store aquafaba in a clean bottle in the fridge for up to a week.
20 mls of Chickpea water per drink will be enough to create a good froth.
To mask the chickpea smell add a couple of dashes of orange bitters, orange flower water or rose water to every drink.
2- SIPHON FOAMS
An advantage of this is the fact that one can add a totally different flavor in the foam, contrasting or complimenting the main taste in the cocktail.
Making a egg-less syphon foam is much easier than it sounds! The most bothering part of it is just the gathering of the various equipment and ingredients…so, what will you need?
- A cream whipper siphon
- Nitrous Oxide (N2O) cartridges
- Protein substitute such as Hyfoamer -my favorite- , agar agar or gelatine
- A thickener such as xanthan gum
- Whatever liquid you want to transform into a foam (stick with very low abv liquid for best results)
The following is literally the easiest way of making a egg-less foam in a 500 ml siphon:
- Fill the siphon at just half of its capacity, so well below the ‘max’ line with your chosen liquid.
- Add 2 teaspoons of hyfoamer and a 1/4 of a teaspoon of xanthan gum.
- Close the siphon and give it a shake to disperse the powders.
- Screw one N2O charger and give the siphon another shake to incorporate the gas.
- Put the siphon in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before using it. This will allow the gas to work its magic!
- When ready to use, turn the siphon upside down and squirt a little foam in a separate glass as trial.
- If all is good, squeeze the siphon handle and delicately place the foam on the cocktail surface.
Siphons are not toys. Always be careful when using them and always follow the safety instructions from the brand you purchased it from.
Never charge the siphon more than two times.
The recipe above will work for most liquids. If it fails to produce a foam after the second charge, though, just revisit the proportions of the powders.
3 – MIRACULOUS FOAMER
I’m not joking. This is the actual name of an actual product.
Produced in Canada by ‘Ms Better Bitters’ , the miraculous foamer is described as ‘functional bitters’ on their website and it is a mysterious mix of three botanicals steeped in neutral grain spirit. They promise the equivalent of 100 egg whites per bottle and you’re supposed to use only six drop per cocktail in order to obtain a nice foam.
They recently added it on the endless amazon catalog which is great! (link here)
I tried it and the result is amazing. It kinda blew my mind!
Let’s simply say that this is what vegan imbibers dreams are made of.
My name is Lulu and I am a cocktail creatress, menu developer, consultant and blogger based in the wonderful Scottish highlands.
Follow me on:
Was this article useful to you? Have you tried any of the three egg whites substitutes before?
As usual, let me know your thoughts or questions in the comment section below!